About two weeks ago I’ve posted a small profile of FLISM, a Central African militia from south western Central African Republic that is taking up arms against the Seleka Coalition which successfully pushed President Bozize aside. In the last weeks I’ve tried to monitor online news sites for news about FLISM, but the information always directed me to Al Wihda where I got the information about FLISM from in the first place. This week FLISM popped up in a new post on Al Wihda, a communique from the so called l’Alliance Africaine Anti-Jihadiste (AAAJ) in which they claim it’s own creation (May 5th) and call for other groups to join their alliance. The AAAJ consists of the following groups:
- MADGECC (Mouvement d’Auto-Défense des Gbayas de l’Église du Christianisme Céleste)
- FLISM (Front pour la Libération et l’Indépendance de la Sangha-Mbaéré)
- UBBB (Union des Bandas de Bambari et Bria)
- PZO (Patriotes Zandes d’Obo)
- ROY (Rassemblement Oubanguien Yakoma)
Little is known about these groups and I will try to gather some information about them and publish it on this blog.
There is clearly a resistance standing up against Seleka. The initial motives might be different (FLISM for instance is fighting for an independent Sangha-Mabaéré), but the fact that they’ve joined forces under the name of African Anti-Jihadist Alliance points out that they are bound by the threat that goes out from Seleka as being a Jihadist movement, which is interesting because Seleka doesn’t represent itself as being Jihadist. Whatever the motives for the resistance, it is clear that there are armed forces standing up against Seleka and this could evolve into a civil war between Seleka and the AAAJ.
Translation of the statement of AAAJ (source):
Press release creation of the African Anti-Jihadist Alliance
The MADGECC (Self-Defense Movement Gbayas of the Celestial Church of Christ), the FLISM (Front for the Liberation and Independence of the Sangha Mbaéré), the UBBB (Union Bandas Bambari and Bria) the PZO (Patriots Zande Obo) and ROY (Rally Oubanguian Yakoma) decided to join forces in an alliance to fight against the Seleka army . This alliance is called the African Anti-Jihadist Alliance (AAAJ).
The African Anti-Jihadist Alliance (AAAJ) calls for those who left Seleka us to join us in the AAAJ movement :
– The Revolutionary Forces for Democracy (FRD) of Francis Nelson Ndjadder
– The Democratic Front of the Central African People (FDPC) of Abdoulaye Miskine
– The National Committee for the Restoration of Democracy (NDRC) Armel Sayo.
We also call veterans of the APRD (Popular Army for the Restoration of Democracy) to join .
Together, AAAJ will defeat the Islamist Seleka.
We recall that the FLISM (Front for the Liberation and Independence of the Sangha Mbaéré) already controls the villagesof Lidjombo, Tomari and Adoumandjali. And their fighting forces (Pygmies and Bantu) are close to Nola and Bayanga.
We know that Francis Nelson Ndjadder is alone and FRD exists only on the internet, but we invite to our group, together we can save people from the terrorists in power in Bangui.
Founding members of the AAAJ (African Anti-Jihadist Alliance )
– Movement of Self-Defense Gbayas the Celestial Church of Christ (MADGECC)
– Front for the Liberation and Independence of the Sangha Mbaéré (FLISM)
– Union Bandas Bambari and Bria (UBBB)
– Patriots Zande Obo (PZO)
– Rally Oubanguian Yakoma (ROY)
Written statement for AAAJ by Celestine Ferran (spokesman MADGECC) May 5, 2013 Carnot (RCA).